Friday 11 July 2014

'Omg, you were home-educated???'

Why?
Some people choose home-ed because of religious reasons, however my parents felt like primary school was simply there for childcare and they wanted us to grow more freely, apart from the rules and levels that you have to climb in school.

Isn’t it against the law??
In the UK it is perfectly fine to educate your child at home, as long as the education they receive is suitable to their ability and aptitude.

But don’t you have to be a teacher?
Nope, you don’t have to have any formal education whatsoever to instruct your child at home.

Do you have any friends?!
Contrary to popular belief, I have a social life! Growing up, I had friends at my local home-ed group as well as from my dance classes and friends living in my village. Unlike the image that some people have, just because I’m home-ed it doesn’t mean I wear long, flowery skirts and sit at home crocheting all day…


But you’ll miss out on school’s valuable life lessons!
Valuable life lessons? I feel like I’ve learnt many more things to prepare me for the adult world from my family and friends at home than I would have at school. I know how to have a conversation, prepare for a job interview and bake a loaf of bread… what more could I ask for?

Can you wear your pjs all day??
Strangely, this is one of the questions I get asked the most, and the answer is, you can if you like, but you have to remember that we actually want to get up and learn because it’s fun. I can imagine if you were in school then came straight out you’d want to work in your pyjamas bcause it would be a novelty, but in reality, we prefer to get dressed and ready for the day.


What’s a typical day like??

That’s exactly it-there isn’t a typical day for a home-edder. We had things like an art class to go to or a group meet up to attend, but the point is that nothing is ‘compulsory’ like it is in school. We never really had a specific time to start or end our working time, just as much or as little as we felt like doing that day. One day I wanted to do a huge essay on Jane Austen’s history, so that’s what I did for about a week. I remember this one time when my 3 siblings and I took a week to prepare a whole Egyptian burial, my sister made an elaborate gold mask for the mummy, we all made clay models to be the servants in the next life as well as the  canopic jars. My brothers painted an old cardboard box to bury me in after I was wrapped in toilet paper as the mummy!

1 comment: